Friday, May 18, 2012

Friday Fun Links 5-18-12

When someone who writes about bad science for a living calls something "The worst government statistic ever created", you know it's going to be good.

Okay, that report was from the UK....now do you US folks want to know what's wrong with your state?  Massachusetts has blisters, apparently.

If there's something wrong with this data, I don't want to know about it.  There is no such thing as strong coffee, only weak people.

I kid actually, the above study has all the normal problems of nutritional research.  The Time write up did give me the quote of the week however:

Since the study was observational only, the authors couldn’t conclude that coffee drinking actually reduces death risk.
Gee, with a headline like "Coffee: Drink More, Live Longer?" I can't see why anyone would jump to that conclusion.  Also, I kinda hate the phrase "death risk".  Unless we're about to get in to an eschatology debate, I'm pretty sure my death risk is 100%, no matter how much coffee I drink.


Moving on, the Pew Research Group started meta-analyzing their own analysis...with sad results.  

On a perkier note, if you want to win your weekend geek-off, here's a (NSFW...sorta) guide to why Tesla > Edison...even with that whole pigeon thing.








 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Are you sure you're not depressed because you have cuts? According to that map up there, you should consider it.

      Delete
  2. james takes apart a dietary study at his site. You'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find the 100% estimate of death risk enormously clarifying. Thank you. ;-)

    I am not a statistician. I am woefully innumerate by my own estimation. But like the color blind man who spends hours in the art museum I have a deep appreciation of the power of numbers and that ability to understand what they are really saying. I could read this stuff for hours.

    I came here via AVI. Thanks loads.

    ReplyDelete